Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Protagonists – The Need To Love And Hate

When I first started writing, I never realized how important it was to get inside your protagonist’s or your villian's head. That’s where POV comes in, right? That’s what it's all about and how else can you get inside your character’s head and stay there if not through a certain POV?” Well that is true. But I’m not here to talk about POV.

What I’m talking about here, is love and hate.

You know that old saying about “If you can’t love yourself, you can’t love anyone.” Or “You have to love yourself first, before you can open your heart to someone else.” Or something to that affect.

Can you make your protagonists lovable to your readers if you don’t fall in love with them? Can you make your readers hate your villain if you don’t?

My answer is NO!!

I must love my protagonist as if he or she is a real person in my life. I could never make my characters believable if they couldn't exist in my world. I dream about them, I talk to them and I think about them almost constantly. And my villains should scare me. So as much as I love my leading man and woman I must also hate my villain as though he or she is really out to kill me or someone I love.

How much do you love or hate your characters? I’d love to hear your views and comments on this subject.

1 comment:

  1. I get so far in my bad guy's head that I absolutely love them. The more disgusting, distasteful and mean the more I love them. Even better is when they have that single redeeming quality, like an awesome sense of humor, which you can't help but like just a little.

    So no, I don't have to hate my villain. I'm the reverse I suppose. I have to know them as well as I know myself...and understand them, the same way I would my hero/heroine.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and always look forward to your comments!